Pic: Lydia Redman
DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE boss John Still’s long pursuit of striker Elliott Romain has paid off after the striker completed his move from Eastbourne Borough.
Romain, 25, has scored 20 goals for the National League South club this season, becoming the league’s third top scorer, and has been on Still’s radar for some time.
With Eastbourne keen to hold on to one of their star players any potential deal was put on hold but with the Sports all but out of the play-off picture, the Daggers have swooped.
Romain joined Eastbourne in July 2015 after starting his career with Brighton & Hove Albion and Millwall and having stints in Non-League at Three Bridges and Lewes.
The pacy forward put pen to paper with Dagenham after the National League side agreed an undisclosed fee with Eastbourne.
The Daggers claim they had to “fend off rival bids” to land Romain and he goes straight into the squad for Saturday’s trip to Barrow.
Boss Still said: “We highlighted Elliott earlier on this season as he’s been watched by our scouts.
“We’ve always been trying to find the right time for us and the right time for Eastbourne Borough because they wanted to hold onto the forward, fortunately they got to a stage that they thought it was the right time to let him go and we are absolutely delighted to bring him in.”
Sports boss Tommy Widdrington added: “I’m not at all surprised at the interest Elliott has received and I’m delighted with his contribution to Eastbourne Borough over the last 20 months or so.
“I’m also mindful of the “doubters” who told me he couldn’t be managed, and the previous people Elliott worked under, who told me – quote – “He doesn’t score enough goals!” Elliott had passed the twenty mark for the season by the end of February!
“I and everyone at Priory Lane wish Elliott the very best of luck in his new adventure, and he is living proof that you should never give up on your pursuit to improve.”