The Non-League Football Paper

Missed us? Buy The NLP here!

Subscribers login | Free sample


Get our weekly Football email

National League midweek round-up

(Picture: Matt Kirkham)

A brace from Luke Armstrong helped Gateshead stun title favourites Salford City and make it two wins from two.

Marquee signing Adam Rooney grabbed his first goal for the Ammies after 11 minutes but Armstrong, on loan from Middlesbrough, equalised for Steve Watson’s side before half-time.

The Heed then took the lead with 20 minutes to play when Armstrong burst through on goal and expertly slotted home. Lois Maynard hit the post late on for Salford, who have taken one point from their first two games.

Martin Allen’s Chesterfield comfortably beat Aldershot Town 3-0 at the Proact Stadium in front of almost 5000 to pick up their second three points.

A first-half double from the impressive Charlie Carter put the Spireites in total control and then Marc-Antoine Fortune wrapped up the result with a late penalty.

FC Halifax Town and Solihull Moors made it two wins from two. Dayle Southwell and Matty Brown scored in both halves for the Shaymen to see off Barrow while Adi Yussuf scored his second goal of the season as Moors beat Maidenhead United.

Blair Turgott scored twice in the second half for Maidstone United at Dagenham & Redbridge to win 2-1 as Elliott Romain grabbed a consolation for the hosts.

Harrogate Town twice came from behind in a manic second half to take a point at Hartlepool United.

Niko Muir put the home side ahead shortly after half-time but Dom Knowles quickly equalised for the National League new boys.

Pools retook the lead through Jake Cassidy but Callum Howe netted a 90th minute leveller to nick a point for Town.

Dover Athletic were pegged back at the death by Bromley. Jamie Allen cancelled out Daniel Johnson’s third minute goal for Bromley and then Kevin Lokko put the visitors in front before Frankie Sutherland scored from the penalty spot.

There was late drama at Brisbane Road too where Corey Whitely equalised late for Ebbsfleet United to cancel out Macauley Bonne’s opener for Leyton Orient.

Jamie Collins’ penalty was enough for Sutton United to see off Eastleigh while Barnet came from behind against Braintree Town to draw 1-1.

Boreham Wood‘s visit to Havant & Waterlooville and Wrexham‘s home clash with AFC Fylde finished all square.


This article was brought to you by The Non-League Paper, the UK's best-selling football title on the newsstand, on-sale every Sunday.
To subscribe to The Non-League Paper CLICK HERE

Liked this story? Share it!


[snack_ad id="6539132" type="1by1"]