Chesterfield have banned three supporters totalling 16 years after crowd trouble during their match against Solihull Moors on Boxing Day and Ebbsfleet United last Saturday.
Chief executive Graham Bean confirmed on Saturday night that police were investigating crowd incidents during their dramatic 3-3 comeback against Ebbsfleet and feared a potential points deduction.
Bean issued an official statement in which he said at least one fan had been ‘detained’ and that there had been “a number of allegations of racial abuse of an opposition player and one of physical contact with an opposition player” after supporters clashed with Ebbsfleet goalkeeper Nathan Ashmore.
Ashmore received a yellow card for timewasting during injury-time with his side leading 3-2. He then gesticulated to referee Rebecca Welch that an incident had taken place with fans behind the goal with the ball still in his possession.
It is the second time inside two weeks that Chesterfield fans are alleged to have overstepped the mark following a pitch invasion during the 4-0 defeat by Solihull Moors on Boxing Day.
Now, the National League club has taken action by banning three supporters.
In a statement today, Bean said: “One Banning Order is for a period of ten years and the other two are three-year bans.
“The club continues to work with the authorities in relation to the identification of other offenders and it is anticipated that further Banning Orders will be issued in due course.
“Disorder on matchdays, including pitch encroachment, will not be tolerated by the club and the swift action we have taken shows how seriously we take such matters.
“Incidents such as the ones we have experienced could have serious repercussions for the club and we will not hesitate to take further action, if necessary.”
Meanwhile, Chesterfield remain certain to name John Sheridan as their new boss this week after the former Sheffield Wednesday midfielder left his position as Carlisle United manager on Friday.