Barrow boss Ian Evatt has has signed a new deal to end speculation over his future a week after the Bluebirds turned down an approach from AFC Fylde for his services.
Evatt, pictured, put pen-to-paper on a new and improved deal at Holker Street with his side sitting fourth in the National League table, just four points off top spot with a game in hand on the teams above them.
The 37-year-old former Blackpool and Chesterfield centre-back agreed a new contract ahead of the club’s FA Cup exit on Saturday at the hands of Solihull Moors and six months after signing a three year deal in June.
Evatt was rewarded after dramatically improving the fortunes of the Cumbrians during his 16 months, transforming them from relegation candidates to title contenders.
The Bluebirds boss told fans it was an easy decision to make in a club statement.
“I’ve said many times that we are on a journey at this football club and me and my staff, as well as all of the players, are really looking forward to continuing that journey,” he said.
”The lads have shown what they are capable of so far this season and we all believe we are on the cusp of something with this group.
”I have to say a big thank you to the supporters for all of their support, both this week and since I arrived, we need them to come out in their numbers now to get behind the team and play their part in what will hopefully be a very successful season.”
Bluebirds chairman Paul Hornby said: “The new deal is recognition of the incredible hard work he’s put in over the last 15 months and gives the club even greater security if clubs come knocking.
”Hopefully now this will put to bed all the speculation which has surrounded the club in the last few days and we can look forward to a football game.”
Images courtesy of barrowafc.com