Quantcast
The Non-League Football Paper

Missed us? Buy The NLP here!

Subscribers login | Free sample

Newsletter

Get our weekly Football email

Boss Chris Kinnear urges Sean Raggett to stay at Dover Athletic

SEAN RAGGETT has been urged not to join the Dover Athletic exodus as his manager lashed out at the player’s agent.

The defender is at the centre of increased transfer speculation, and National League champions Cheltenham have confirmed they want the centre-back, who was linked with Liverpool three years ago.

Crabble boss Chris Kinnear believes Raggett should think about his football and continue to develop for a sixth season in a Dover shirt.

Kinnear says Raggett’s agent is not helping anyone, accusing the representative of feeding untrue information to the press in a bid to increase the pressure to secure a League move.

Kinnear insists no five-figure bid has been lodged – and says one would not be welcomed. Dover lost striker Stefan Payne, 24, to Barnsley and midfielder Nicky Deverdics, 28, to Hartlepool in the close season.

Now, the most successful manager in the club’s existence doesn’t want to have to replace Raggett, who has been on the Whites’ books since 2009.

He told The NLP: “Let’s be clear, there has been no bid at all. It’s been made up and put out there, and it doesn’t take a genius to work out where it has come from.

“The agent is not helping the situation, and the last thing Sean needs is to go and sit on the bench somewhere when he is progressing very well and getting 90 minutes every game.

Community

“Rarely do you see a 22-year-old central defender in the Football League playing every week. It’s different there. They go for proven experience in that position and the rest have to wait their turn.

“Sean has been here for seven years nearly, ever since he was a kid. He’s going to be coaching in the community and working in a school in September.

“In an ideal world, that plan won’t be changing. We don’t want him to go.”

Kinnear insists the unwanted distraction has not cast a shadow over their build up to the August 6 kick-off. Wins over AFC Wimbledon and Leyton Orient have offered optimism that a repeat of their play-off finish last term could be achieved again, despite losing two of their stars so far.

“I wouldn’t read too much into all that,” scoffed the manager, who also watched his squad batter Billericay 4-1. “I never do, but that’s not to say we haven’t done well and that I’m not pleased with how we’ve started pre-season, because I am.

“We have beaten two good clubs but I don’t think they’ll be losing sleep over the results.”

This article was brought to you by The Non-League Paper, the UK's best-selling football title on the newsstand, on-sale every Sunday.
To subscribe to The Non-League Paper CLICK HERE

Tagged , , ,

Liked this story? Share it!

PinIt

Related Posts