(Gillingham’s Conor Wilkinson tackles Charlton Athletic’s Billy Clarke. Picture: Olly Greenwood/EMPICS Sport)
Conor Wilkinson says he turned away interest from Football League clubs to sign permanently at Dagenham and Redbridge.
The 23-year-old has joined the Daggers on an 18-month deal from Gillingham after falling in love with the club during a recent loan spell.
He scored six times in 11 appearances with the National League side, playing a key part in their rise up the table.
During their visit last week, the club’s new ownership group led by Peter Freund, Tim Howard and Craig Unger, expressed their deep desire to recapture the forward ahead of an all-important 2019.
“Coming out of meetings with Peter Taylor, Steve Thompson, Tim and Craig, our top priority was to sign Conor,” said executive chairman Freund. “There is no denying what he has meant to the football club since his arrival and we look forward to continuing the process of solidifying the squad not only for this season, but for the future.”
“I know I speak on behalf of everyone at the club when I say how beyond excited I am to have Conor now part of the club on a permanent basis and I look forward to seeing him back on the pitch for the Daggers.”
Wilkinson added: “I did have interest from clubs in the Football League and in this league but I wanted to come back here. The last eleven games have really benefited me, I’ve found myself again, enjoying the football I have been playing and it’s good to be back playing for the team.”
Dagenham visit struggling Maidstone United on Saturday.