By Alice Humphries
Carshalton Athletic have confirmed that manager Peter Adeniyi has resigned to put an end to his second stint in charge at the Isthmian Premier Division side.
The 46-year-old originally stepped up into the role of player-manager in 2016 and has since been involved with the club’s academy, overseeing both the U19 and U23 levels.
Following a difficult defeat to Hashtag United last Saturday, Adeniyi has stepped away from his managerial duties.
In a statement published on their website on Tuesday evening, the club said: “Peter Adeniyi has served the club in many capacities, and he has played a big part in the club’s progress over many years.
For exclusive stories and all the detailed Non-League news you need, subscribe to The Non-League Paper website, digital edition, or newspaper from as little as 14p a day.
Expectations
“The performance of the first team this season has been a long way from both the club’s expectations and Peter’s expectations.
“As a result, Peter recently offered his resignation as first team manager to the club chairman.
“Peter’s resignation was accepted pending securing a suitable candidate for the role. A first team manager has now been secured.”
Carshalton’s club chairman Paul Dipre, added: “I have nothing but admiration and thanks to Peter for his hard work and commitment in the first team management role.
“It will come as no surprise to anyone that Peter has put the club’s welfare first and recognises that a management change is inevitable.
“Peter is and will remain an important member of my senior team at the club and I have no doubt that the whole club will join me in thanking Peter for his endless commitment and loyalty to Carshalton Athletic.”
Adeniyi’s Carshalton side finished seventh last season, narrowly missing out on a spot in the playoffs, whilst achieving a fourth qualifying round appearance in the FA Cup.
More recently, The Robins have only taken three points from their last five league fixtures, which included a 4-0 defeat to Chatham Town in January.
Adeniyi returned to Carshalton in 2023 after spending a year at Merstham, saving the team from relegation via the play-offs in the Isthmian South Central.

Beautifully crazy
He posted a final message on X, which read: “I wish to express my sincere thanks to everyone at the club for their support throughout this season.
“It has been a challenging campaign that didn’t go as planned, but the interests of the club must always take precedence over the individual.
“I am deeply grateful to Paul and Claire for the opportunity to lead the team; their support has been exceptional.
“My thanks also go to the backroom staff – Joe, Sanchez, Bonnie, Christian, Dave – and the many others behind the scenes for their tireless work.
“To the players: despite our league position, I have never doubted your commitment or your talent. Thank you for all your efforts.
“To the fans: thank you for your incredible, ‘beautifully crazy’ support. Seeing some of you at every training session, rain or shine, proves how special this community is.
“You are a special group of people and have nothing but the club’s best interests at heart.
“I am committed to helping the club transition in the right direction and wish my successor the very best of luck.”
Smooth transition
The club confirmed a new first team manager had been appointed earlier this week, and confirmed today that Steven Bates will be the new manager.
“The club is pleased to announce the appointment of Steven Bates as the first team manager, a statement read.”
“Steven’s background is in coaching and assisting in both the National League and National League South.”
Bates said: “I would like to thank the club for the opportunity and to thank Peter for a smooth transition.
“The job I have been set is to improve our league position and I am committed to that end.
“Steven will be taking his first training session tonight, and then on Saturday, his first fixture against Ramsgate at Colston Avenue.”
READ MORE: Eastbourne Borough sack Tommy Widdrington as club sit bottom of National League South






