The Non-League Football Paper

National League Round-Up: Macclesfield move three clear as Tranmere go sixth

Macclesfield Town increased their lead at the top of the National League to three points with a win over FC Halifax Town on Boxing Day. Tom Denton put the visitors ahead after 11 minutes but Danny Whitehead equalised for the Silkmen in first-half added time.

Tyrone Marsh headed home Macclesfield’s winner in the final stages as the leaders returned to winning ways and extended their unbeaten league run to eight games.

There was plenty of Christmas cheer at Prenton Park as Tranmere Rovers swept past AFC Fylde to move into the play-off places. A brace each from Ritchie Sutton and Connor Jennings made it four consecutive wins despite Jonny Smith’s consolation strike.

Resurgent Leyton Orient are now nine points clear of the relegation zone after picking up their third win in a row against Dagenham & Redbridge. Second half goals from Josh Coulson and Macauley Bonne, his 13th of the season, significantly eased worries at Brisbane Road.

Woking will be out for revenge on New Years Day when Aldershot Town visit the Laithwaite Community Stadium. Gary Waddock’s Shots claimed the first lot of bragging rights with a 3-1 win over their rivals thanks to Shamir Fenelon’s brace and one from Manny Oyeleke, after Inih Effiong levelled things up in the first-half.

Paul Doswell’s Sutton United were big winners at ten-man Boreham Wood. Nicky Bailey’s brace and one each from Jamie Collins and Craig Eastmond moved the U’s into second as Keiran Murtagh was sent off for the hosts.

At the bottom, Guiseley piled the misery on Chester, who have now lost three of their last four games. The Lions were two ahead in this relegation six-pointer after just 15 minutes and then Blues defender Nathaniel Rowe-Turner was sent off 10 minutes later.

Torquay United are nine points adrift from safety after only drawing with Eastleigh while rock bottom Solihull Moors have just 17 points from 26 games – and lost at Maidenhead United.

Maidstone United couldn’t hold on to their two-goal lead – given to them by Joe Pigott – at Kent rivals Dover Athletic. The Whites fought back thanks to goals from Nortey Nortei and Ryan Bird.

In another Kent clash, Ebbsfleet United edged out Bromley 2-1 to move two points from the play-offs. Danny Kedwell’s 11th goal of the season made it three wins in four.

Hartlepool United stopped the rot at Gateshead with a 2-2 draw while Wrexham were held at Barrow and were dealt a blow as their captain fantastic Shaun Pearson went off injured.

Tagged ,

Liked this story? Share it!


Related Posts