Ian Cornforth succeeds Stuart Boardley at Leiston

Ian Cornforth will be bidding to get off to a winning start as Leiston boss tonight after succeeding Stuart Boardley as manager with his new charges propping up the table.
Former reserve team boss Cornforth took charge on Monday with his new charges entertaining Biggleswade at Victory Road and still seeking a first win of the season in the Southern League Central Premier.
Boardley, pictured took over from former boss Glenn Driver when he left the club last season and went on to retain the Suffolk Premier Cup. He quit after seeing his side collect just one point from their opening seven league games and 48 hours after Leiston were thrashed 5-1 at Stourbridge on Saturday.
The Blues released a statement on Monday announcing they’d accepted Boardley’s resignation and thanking him for his efforts before confirming Cornforth’s appointment.
“It is with great regret that Leiston Football Club has accepted the resignation of Stuart Boardley as first team manager this afternoon.
“The club would like to place on record their sincere thanks to Stuart for his commitment to the role in what have been difficult circumstances particularly with the number of player changes over the summer.
“Stuart is passionate about Leiston Football Club and has given his utmost to bring success to the club. The highlight of his tenure was retaining the Suffolk Premier Cup in May this year.
“The club would like to thank Stuart for his service at Leiston FC and hope that after having taking time away with his family, Stuart will continue to be involved with the football club.
“The club has moved quickly to announce Stuart’s replacement with Ian Cornforth stepping up from reserve team manager. Ian has worked with the first-team squad on a regular basis during Stuart’s managerial reign. We wish Ian every success in his new role.”
Boardley told the club’s website: “It is with great sadness and regrets that I have decided to leave my position as manager as Leiston Football Club.
“I informed the Chairman Andy Crisp of my decision following the club’s defeat to Ware in the FA Cup last weekend but was asked to reconsider and give my decision some further thought whilst continuing to manage the team through this difficult period.
“I agreed to remain in charge for a short period whilst the club considered their options further and put plans in place but confirmed my decision would not change.’
“Firstly, I would like to thank Andy [Crisp], Peter [Mayhew] and the Financial Board members for giving me the opportunity and honour to manage this great Football Club. Secondly, the fans, who in the main, have been fantastic and stuck by the team and have understood the rebuilding process that needed to take place.
“Please get behind Ian now and understand that rebuilding takes time and will be a difficult and testing process. Lastly, I’d like to place on record my thanks to the staff and players I have worked with, all of whom have been fantastic, I couldn’t have done it without you.”
He added: ‘”Football has consumed me these last twelve months and has been particularly difficult since I lost David [Head], my assistant back in May. Recruitment during the summer did not bear the fruits we had hoped for, and ultimately the club has suffered from only retaining two of the starting eleven that won last season’s Suffolk Premier Cup Final, a feat that I am extremely proud of.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *